June 29, 2008

LIVEMOCHA



Are you interested in learning languages? Are you a disciplined learner and would love a space where you would be able to have interaction with other speakers and learners of the target language? Are you looking for a free course?

Livemocha is a great site for people who are interested in learning and practising foreign languages. A colleague of mine heard about it through a student of hers who has been using the site to practise English. I, myself, have enrolled in a French course and am planning to start learning Italian as well.

My first French lesson (I´m not exactly a real beginner)went really well. First, during the presentation stage, I had to listen to some sentences + pictures and match the sound to the words, then I had to match the sentences to translations. There are written and oral exercises to do and other people enrolled correct your exercises and give you feedback.

The perfect example of online collaboration where you teach what you know and learn from others who are willing to help you. While doing my French lesson, I received a request from someone learning English asking me if I could help. I could refuse or accept. Why not, I thought. A chat box opened and there I was chatting in English with a chinese girl from Bei Jing who is learning English. I sure had a great time helping her with our conversation.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Live Mocha is a great site. I also really enjoy Edufire.com because I can take the areas that I need extra help on and work one-on-one with a tutor.

It's great that all of these language sites are growing!

Sandra

Joao Alves said...

Hi Anamaria,
I enrolled myself in a French course a time ago and learned the basics but I haven't finished the first chapter yet because I have been too lazy. :) I am a real beginner in French. If I meet you there, I'll add you as a friend.

Ana Maria Menezes said...

Ok, joao. We can be French buddies. I´m a beginner now myself.Have forgotten most of the French I once knew.

anamaria

French Spanish Online said...

maybe before starting a conversation you need vocabulary, you can visit: http://freefrench.frenchspanishonline.com it is free and no registration is needed!